1. Jala Yagnam is the brainchild of late YS Rajasekhar Reddy launched in 2004.
2. Intended to lift the flood waters of the Krishna and Godavari rivers to meet the needs of two crore residents and provide irrigation to 100 lakh acres of arid and dryland in undivided state (AP, Telangana).
3. Jala Yagnam turned out to be damp squib as it splurged public exchequer and became huge burden for government. Whereas the results of the scheme are no match.
4. Approximately half (Rs 90,000 crore) of the total estimated amount of Rs 1.86 lakh crore was spent in 9 years.
5. It’s widely alleged that the scheme favoured private contractors to the tune of crores.
6. This could be called as “mother-of-all-scams” at state level and dubbed as YSR’s Rs 90,000 crore let’s-all-loot scam.
7. Verdict: Zero outcome with at high cost of people money.
NTR Sujala Sravanthi
1. NTR Sujala Sravanthi is conceived by Nara Chandrababu Naidu in 2014.
2. The scheme is aimed at supplying protected drinking water to rural areas across the truncated state of AP.
3. Under the scheme, government intends to supply 20 litres of clean water at Rs 2, per each family
4. It’s zero cost for government and public money as Chandrababu is seeking Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) funds to execute this scheme.
5. The scheme is going to favour people especially residents of rural areas and water-scarce locations like Rayalaseema.
6. AP government is going to set up reverse osmosis (RO) plant in each village. For each plant the cost is estimated between Rs 5.75 lakh and Rs 15 lakh, based on the quality of the groundwater available and population of the village.
7. Verdict: Best output at lowcost of private funds.